What is Argent Direct?
Argent Direct is a specially trained team of barristers who are able to advise and represent clients in a cost effective way. Until 2004, barristers were only able to undertake work on the instructions of a solicitor, however under the direct access scheme you can now go straight to a barrister.
What is a Public Access barrister?
Public Access barristers perform the same functions as any other barrister such as providing specialist legal advice and representation, however they can also perform many of the functions of a solicitor such as drafting legal documents including documents and letters etc.
What legal services can a barrister perform for me under the direct access scheme?
- Advisory work in all areas of law;
- Drafting of legal documents, letters, contracts etc;
- The sending and receiving of certain correspondence;
- Second Opinions where solicitors have already been instructed;
- Advice and Representation before Courts and Tribunals;
- Negotiations with other parties in the case.
If you do need a solicitor, Chambers works with a number of solicitors and we can arrange a suitable one in your area.
What are the benefits of Direct Public Access?
- Barristers are experts in the area of law they specialise in;
- You only pay one legal advisor rather than two;
- Barristers are self employed and therefore have less overheads than solicitors, this means that generally they are better value for money as all of the payment goes towards legal services;
- You get direct access to specialist legal advisors and advocates with a wide choice of counsel;
- Fee estimates in advance - our barristers always give an indication of how much the work will cost in advance and generally do not operate on costly 'taxi meter' hourly rates.
- Flexible billing arrangements - we offer a mix of fixed and capped fees to ensure absolute certainty of cost.
Your barrister will be able to inform you if you do need the help and advice of a solicitor or another professional, and may be able to recommend one.
What areas of law are suitable for Public Access work?
The Direct Public Access Scheme now covers all areas of law including criminal, family and immigration law.
Argent Direct have teams specialising in the following areas and would be happy to receive your instructions:
- Civil and Commercial Disputes
- Courts Martial
- Criminal Appeals
- Criminal Law
- Employment Law
- Family Law
- Police Discipline
- Professional Discipline
- Regulatory Law
- Road traffic and Motoring Offences
If you are a company requiring legal advice then please visit Argent Law, our specialist business services team.
How do I instruct a barrister at Argent Direct?
If you are considering instructing a barrister through Argent Direct, please contact our Senior Clerk Michael Martin or a member of his team, via telephone on 0207 556 5534, or complete our enquiry form.